My Etsy Boutique

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Birdhouse Firsts

So, I don't have a picture of the finished birdhouse handy, but I can tell you that it turned out pretty well. The colours got a bit darker in the baking process, which I have never really experienced before, and I was a little disappointed because they were so much brighter as I was making it and now they almost blend together. But it's still really cute!

The embossed flowers I par-baked to decorate the sides of the birdhouse as a sort of garden did wonderfully in the oven. By the way, I par-baked them in a toaster oven, and it worked marvelously.

All was not perfect, however. One side of the house did crack. I didn't try to repair it yet (not really sure how?!) but it's still cool (not a complete failure). It just has a little more character. Anyway, I guess that this is the result of not proofing the wood beforehand, or sealing it or something.

SO, I have purchased 3 more wooden birdhouses (TONS of ideas floating around in my head for how to decorate them, but alas, I only have 3 houses...) and they have been proofed in the oven (275*F for 30 min.), and none of them cracked - at least not in the same places that the first one cracked. There might have been a bit of separation at the corner joints, which might actually have been the problem with the first one, causing the clay covering the wood to stretch and, in the end, crack. I'll try another one (I've got a Christmas-y idea in mind... very excited...) and see what happens!

If all goes well, I will probably use this Christmas-themed one as a raffle prize at the upcoming craft sale I'm going to (Princess Elizabeth Elementary in Magog, QC, November 26 2011)! Kind of excited about the raffle idea. :) Then I must get started on stocking up on little items that can be sold for low prices at the craft sale!! I haven't really made anything in preparation for it yet... :/ And, I may have a new Christmas ornament order, PLUS all those ornaments I wanted to make for my friends and their children... *hyperventilates*

It will be ok, I will get at least a few things made up. :) I hope...

Will try to post pics of the first birdhouse soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment